The Blood Service in collaboration with three health services has developed free resources for anyone involved in neonatal transfusion to improve outcomes in neonates.
Transfusion consent for neonates: A shared decision
This video shows an example of shared decision-making when a transfusion is being considered for a neonate. In this demonstration, Dr Andrew McPhee is talking with actors who are playing the parents who have decision-making capacity.
- Explain the benefits and risks of a blood transfusion to parents whose child requires a blood transfusion.
- Present information that is easily understood.
- Ensure that parents understand why transfusion had been recommended and other possible treatment options.
- Ensure that the parents priorities and beleifs are taken into consideration.
- Gather informed consent from parents.
For health professionals
- Neonatal blood management and transfusion presentation - designed to help clinical educators deliver neonatal blood management and safe transfusion lectures incorporated in a clinical staff education program.
Contributors: John Hunter Children's Hospital, Newcastle, The Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, and Women's and Children's Hospital, Adelaide