Blood products and transfusion practice for health professionals
On 15 November, we changed from the Australian Red Cross Blood Service to Australian Red Cross Lifeblood.
Why the change? Because today our role goes beyond providing one of the world’s safest and most secure blood supplies.
We also help to facilitate the donation of tissue, organs, breast milk, and other life-saving biological products.
Lifeblood is constantly exploring innovative ways to contribute to a nation of better health outcomes.
This site will remain Lifeblood’s comprehensive resource on blood products and transfusion practice for health professionals.
To learn more about all the ways we support Australian lives, visit lifeblood.com.au
The 2019 transfusion-transmissible infections in Australia surveillance report is now available and can be found here.
The bedside transfusion support tool that all residents need has been updated and now includes more tools and resources to promote safe transfusion practice.
Now available is an updated version of Pack Check which helps a final identity check of the patient and blood product at the patient's side immediately before a transfusion.
Aimed at educators, nurses, midwives and students, this popular comprehensive resource includes:
- information for the educator
- information for familiarisation with the blood component label (including both the Codabar and ISBT 128 transition labels)
- an updated checklist for fresh components transfusion administration
- a new checklist for fractionated blood products, and
- eight learning scenarios with patient, pack, prescription and learning activity.
Click here and search 'Pack Check' to download the updated resource.